Why is this a big deal (“How to” steps are below)
While it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to earn every online 5 start review, many disgruntled employees view online reviews as an easy way to get back at their employers. Google Maps reviews are particularly influential as Google’s market share of total search engine traffic is over 75% (Net Market Share). One short paragraph can cost a business thousands in lost revenue.
According to Data complied by BrightLocal:
- 97% of consumer read online reviews (BrightLocal)
- 85% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations (BrightLocal)
- 49% of consumers need at least a four-star rating before they choose to use a business (BrightLocal)
Recently Google updated its Conflict of Interest policy for Maps to include “Posting negative content about a current or former employment experience“. So long as it’s clear from the review that it was posted by an employee and not a customer, you can have it removed.
- Navigate to Google My Business and sign in
2. Choose “Reviews from the left side menu
3. Select the review in question and click on the three dots in the top right corner, select “Flag as inappropriate” and click “Continue”
4. Enter your email address, select the bottom option “This post contains conflicts of interest” and submit
5. Google promises to review the removal request in 3 days max.